Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Black and White


A few years ago I was with a group of women at the mall when an African American man walked by holding the hand of a Caucasian woman. One of the women shook her head and said, "ugh...I just hate seeing that." I was taken aback and asked her what exactly she was referring to, so she promptly told me that it "wasn't right" for a black man and a white woman to ever be together. I couldn't help myself so I asked her how me raising a Chinese daughter was any different, and she said, "oh but it just IS."

Huh??

Today I read an article in Newsweek about a black family who adopted a white girl who had been in and out of 12 foster homes.

The article itself was really interesting to read, but wow on some of the comments posted after it. Read them for yourself and let us know what you think.

One part of the article that I especially noted was this section:

Now lawmakers may rejoin the charged race-adoption debate. Later this year the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, an independent federal think tank, is expected to publish a summary of expert testimony on adoption law--—much of which will ask Congress to reinstate race as a salient consideration in all cases.

Do you think that race SHOULD be considered in adoption cases?

7 comments:

  1. As long as the adoptive parents understand that they have an obligation to their child to teach them about the culture and history of their race, and then deal with issues that may crop up from people who don't "understand" or questions the child may have, then I don't see the issue. Some children just need good parents, no matter what color they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you, Andrea... but I like you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic of conversation...thanks for bringing it to our attention. Race doesn't matter to me as a white mom raising Asian children....but sometimes the children have questions and comments and wonder what it would be like to be surrounded by Asians...which makes me realize that I cannot ignore race altogether. I like to keep talking and learning as we grow as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The article a fascinating and I would recommend reading it. However, do yourself a favor and do not read the comments following the story. Many of them are the most hateful and racist comments I have come across in a long time. I wish I hadn't read them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love is not color-blind, it is color-aware. If parents adopt a child of a different ethnicity or race, the entire family instantly becomes multi-racial. Adoptive families have an obligation to learn about how race affects their family, so they are prepared to deal with issues that might arise. I devote a chapter to this issue in my book, "The Adoption Decision."

    Laura Christianson
    www.exploringadoptionblog.com
    Twitter: @adoptionexpert

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I have no personal experience with cross racial adoption, I think it could be a positive harmonizing force if it were more common.

    It makes me think--in times of old, it was common for kingdoms desiring peace to marry their royal offspring to one another. As the royal families mixed, it was a deterrent to hostilities. While the history of Europe shows this isn't fool-proof, I believe the activity was a weight in the balance on the side of peace. Perhaps a similar principle could help us achieve racial peace today.

    I believe those raised cross-culturally can act like the bumps on a jigsaw puzzle or threads on a zipper--crossing over to the other side and holding the whole picture together by doing so.

    Just some thoughts. Those more experienced in this issue, please correct as required.

    ReplyDelete